The bad news: I don’t have unlimited hard drive space.
The good news: I did just get 4 TB.
I have kept my files disorganized across three different computers and this time but I am vowing to do it differently.
I need your help (yes, like anything, the first step to recovery is the admission of a problem).
I am not sure what the best way is to maximize my new hard drive space or the best way to organize it.
This is my current setup:
- (WORK) G5 w/ 300 GB HD at 95% full
- (WORK) iMac w/ 200 GB HD at 30% full (this is in our main auditorium and is primarily used for running ProPresenter)
- (PERSONAL) Mac Book Pro w/ 200 GB HD at 80
- (WORK) 1 TB External USB HD at 90% full
NOTE: We like to leave the iMac empty because we have caused issues when we have used it to archive and store stuff. I am not sure if that is paranoia or a good call, but I am open to suggestions. Besides that, everything is pretty close to being clogged.
Now, I did just get an additional 4 TB (2 external and 2 internal) and here are some of my non-negotiables.
- I need to move all of the video files off of my personal computer for central access and for my sanity.
- I export all videos at full resolution Standard Definition and zero compression (yes, it takes up a lot of space but it allows for high quality playback and re-editing later).
- I keep everything we make including stuff that we purchase and tweak (this ranges from series trailers and bumpers to testimony videos to message videos).
- I desperately want to start keeping more than one copy of everything (yeah, that means we don’t have any video backups right now).
How do you store and archive videos? If you were me, how would you do it?