Over the past two weeks, I have been inactive on seventy8production’s Facebook and Twitter account. While there was not silence through the social media outlets thanks to a WordPress plugin and scheduled Hootsuite updates, the inaction was a planned Sabbath from social media. Some people have tried this for several hours or a day and realized they could not last without it. Here are some statistics from Retrevo.com that led me to this decision:
- 56%: Social media users check Facebook at least once a day.
- 12%: Social media users check Facebook every couple of hours.
- 40%: Respondents who said they didn’t mind being interrupted for a message.
- 32%: Respondents who said using the sites was not off limits while eating a meal.
- 48%: Check Facebook after going to bed.
Letting God Be Present In Ministry
Having taken into account the stats and with ministry becoming intense with camp and personal support fundraising, I needed to let go of networking and seventy8productions for a short season and focus on the students and ministry. The distractions of social media was removed, I was fully present with students, and God moved in powerful ways with the students and my donors.
Time To Star Back Up
Now that I am back, networking will continue on. We will be coming up with some great motion background loops, a few big project reveals, free curriculum, and more technology and ministry articles. We are excited for the new school year and the rest of 2011!