Chance Mason of 316 Networks announced that they have successfully implemented HD streaming and dynamic bitrates for their online video streaming platform:
I can finally say that we have launched our first customer leveraging VX Media Suite (our online video platform) as the player delivering a live feed in six different bitrates ranging from 2000kbs to 500kbs with adaptive bitrate.
This technology essentially eliminates all buffering issues for your viewers. The player automatically detects the viewer’s connection and will switch between feeds without buffering.
Dynamic bitrates will continue to become more important as varying connection speeds of the end-users come into play. Chance also details some reasons why video technology like this will be important to multi-site ministries and others:
- Increased audience engagement and expanded interaction due to the instant load upon arriving at the event or on-demand programming (reduced buffering)
- Delivers an online experience that matches HDTV
- Cost effective way to start multisite churches
- One-click solution to start encoding for browser: all bitrates and all devices (iDevices, Blackberry, Android, etc.)
- Dynamic bitrates adjustment (FINALLY): this will eliminate 90% of the buffering complaints you are receiving via the web
- Digital Video Recorder (DVR): this feature is amazing, and I can’t stop using it. Everyone I talk with places great value on this feature
I’m excited to see where mobile and video tech goes this year for the Church! It should be very exciting.