The story is true that trolls will be trolls. But not every argument on the internet is because of a troll. I recently attempted to share my political thoughts on Facebook, only to friends and family, hoping that my non-liberal, yet not full-conservative stance could spark a conversation. About 40% wanted to converse, the other 60% wanted to argue about gun control and Planned Parenthood (which I didn’t even bring up).
They started an argument where there was no argument and no one that started it won. Actually, they were most likely unfriended if they were hostile. Those that wanted to start a conversation were heard, which was great. I loved it.
So why can’t we win an internet argument?
One of the internet’s favorite pastimes is arguing, but very few of those arguments ever actually go anywhere. It can be frustrating to watch, but scientists have some ideas on why things play out the way they do.
[Video via YouTube]