TobyMac’s latest album, This Is Not A Test, released August 7th of this year (yesterday!), is yet another great album to add to anyone’s TobyMac music collection—or anyone’s music collection for that matter actually.
The release has been around on social media for weeks.
The songs Backseat Driver and Feel It were both released early and lots of peeps have been jammin’ to them in the days of anticipation leading up to the release of the full album, which includes his single Beyond Me released at the very beginning of the year.
This Is Not A Test
TobyMac has made a masterpiece once again. No disappointments. He’s just got talent when it comes to, “music for the people to illuminate the soul” (track four, Light Shine Bright feat. Hollyn).
As always with Toby, it’s hip-hop on a whole other level (a better one), with a little bit of rap sprinkled in between (like the salt on a potato chip or something thing like that). It’s up-beat and though it sounds like any cool popular music these days, the lyrics and themes are clean and wholesome (always great).
This new album includes TRU and the return of (drum roll please) Mr. TalkBox! It also features dc Talk in the song, Love Feels Like. It’s got quite a few other featured artists as well, all adding to the overall greatness of the album in their own way. Hollyn with her gorgeous voice, and NF with his rapping skills, etc…
[Video via YouTube]
There are two different versions; normal and the Deluxe Edition which includes a couple remixes for all the remix lovers out there. From track 1, Like A Match, to the very last track, it’s really good (whichever version you have).
All of them.
They’re all so good and all so enjoyable. Here are the tracks and a little bit about them:
- Like A Match, all about “striking it [love] up like a match” and “burn[ing] it for the world to see”. Something we should do.
- Backseat Driver feat. Hollyn—was a great preview to this album. All about needing to give the wheel over to Jesus in our lives because “I don’t wanna be no backseat, no backseat driver”. A good reminder for us all, and why not in the form of an up-beat catchy hip-hop song?
- This Is Not A Test feat. Capital Kings shares the name of the album (or vice versa); “we’ve only got one shot, gonna take it now,” “gonna make it count, won’t look back,” “cause there ain’t no practice runs in life.” True. This is not a test, this is life.
- Light Shine Bright feat. Hollyn (really love her back up voice in this. so pretty) is all about letting our “light shine bright everywhere we go.” Like a new and improved modern hip-hop version of This Little Light Of Mine. But not.
- He never fails to impress and make great music—all for God’s glory. So many people ask, ‘How long can you keep going?’ His answer is, “Till The Day I Die“.
- Feel It feat. Mr. Talkbox, is all about how “love came crashing in, you wrecked me,” “I feel it in my heart, I feel it in my soul, that’s how I know, you take our brokenness and make us beautiful.” Love the “this I know” which reminds me of Jesus Loves Me.
- Move (Keep Walkin’), is an encouragement to “Keep Walkin'” in our lives wherever we are and no matter how hard it is and no matter what we’ve got because Jesus.
- Love Broke Thru, talks about his conversion experience “when love broke thru,” “I was a hopeless fool, now I’m hopelessly devoted, my chains are broken.”
- Beyond Me, a song of wonder towards the Creator and the creation that’s “way beyond me.”
- Love Feels Like ft. dc Talk, is simply great and for all those who listened to dc Talk—REALLY great! It’s very reminiscent of old (for those who were dc Talk fans) and did I mention great?!
- Undeniable, an honest song of how we try to push Him away and how we doubt but how in the end He is “undeniable.”
- Lift You Up, is about lifting God up and believing even when you’re down. It’s very inspiring and encouraging.
- Fall, a fun bouncy beat of a song about his love for his wife. Cute and romantic and an encouragement to all married (or going to be married) peeps.[The Remixes below are from the Deluxe Edition]
- Beyond Me (Phenomenon Remix By Soul Glow Activatur). A phenomenon indeed. 😛
- Like A Match (Garcia’s Remix).
TobyMac’s music is good for singing along but it’s also great for dancing, working, eating, riding in the car, parties, fun get togethers, etc… And the best part is that it’s music the whole entire family will love—a beautiful rarity. He breaches age gaps and is likable to all which is really cool.
Not many people are as talented as Toby is and not many people use their talent well. He has so much talent and uses it very well. He makes amazing music and it gets more amazing every single time. While enjoying this album (and his others) I’ll be waiting with anticipation for the next one.
[Video via YouTube]
I definitely and totally recommend this album to all.
Trust me, you need this amazingness in your life no matter how old you are.
We’re giving away 2 copies!
Enter to win a Deluxe Edition copy of This Is Not A Test for yourself and a friend! That’s right, a digital copy for yourself and anyone you choose. 🙂
Winner will be announced August 15th.
[You just read a Saturday Morning Review. Pretty cool, right?]