Spine is the lightweight framework you’ve been looking for.
Although it may look like other frameworks, such as Backbone, it has a different approach.
This is Spine:
- Class library with real prototypal inheritance.
- Lightweight controller implementation, based on Backbone’s API.
- Full model layer and ORM.
- Ajax and HTML5 Local Storage adapters baked in.
- Asynchronous server communication.
- Works in all major browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, IE >= 7).
- Simple and lightweight.
- Thorough documentation.