When I pulled this website up, I was excited!
I’ve wished for a web tool like this for quite a while, now. When I’ve dealt with local clients here in Italy, I could leave their web project on my localhost and they could preview their website on my laptop. This doesn’t work for the majority of my clients who are in the United States.
After I get the project to a specific point, I migrate to my web server. There has been so many times I’ve wanted to have a client preview something in development or give them an idea of how far along the project is.
It’s also nice to be able to view the web project on a different sized computer monitor or even another device.
All this is possible with Showoff.
Showoff is a service that allows a locally run server on any port to be accessible on the public Internet. It creates a public URL for a server on localhost that you can share with anyone. All requests to that URL are tunneled to your workstation.
You not only can share your Showoff URL for your locally run dev server for clients, but also:
- Test your run dev server with reall SSL certificate
- Build and test APIs that require callback URLs on the public internet
- Develop and test mobile apps
Like most solid web tools, it comes with a price. I’m happy to see it’s affordable!
You can try showoff for free. Each tunnel will last up to five minutes. If you need to leave a tunnel open longer, you can create an account and choose a pricing plan.
Pay as you go plan ($1/day)
- Buy credits for use on-demand; ideal for occasional use.
- Once you start using a token, it expires after 24 hours.
- Each token costs $1.
- Buy as many as you want.
- Use them when you want.
- Sessions last as long as you still have credits.
- Public URLs are randomly generated.
Unlimited Access plan ($5/month)
- Subscribe for unlimited access.
- Ideal when you need a permanent URL or use showoff frequently.
- A subscription costs $5/month.
- Sessions last indefinitely.
- Choose a permanent showoff URL that’s always yours.
- Random URLs are still available.
This looks like a great service!