The awaited “$25 computer” Raspberry Pi launched, yesterday, and sold out.
For only $25, it certainly gives the FXI Cotton Candy a run for it’s money … literally!
Here’s Raspberry Pi’s specs:
- Broadcom BCM2835 700MHz ARM1176JZFS processor with FPU and Videocore 4 GPU
- GPU provides Open GL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG, and 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode
- GPU is capable of 1Gpixel/s, 1.5Gtexel/s or 24GFLOPs with texture filtering and DMA infrastructure
- 256MB RAM
- Boots from SD card, running the Fedora version of Linux
- 10/100 BaseT Ethernet socket
- HDMI socket
- USB 2.0 socket
- RCA video socket
- SD card socket
- Powered from microUSB socket
- 3.5mm audio out jack
- Header footprint for camera connection
- Size: 85.6 x 53.98 x 17mm
Honestly, this is a geek toy.
By the time you factor in the cost of peripherals, you could easily score a netbook or cheap laptop that would have more power. However, if you’re geeky enough to have peripherals lying around — ahem — $25 is a no-brainer.