The new iPhones are out, and the rumor mills can finally take a break after weeks of speculation and leaks! So now, we have 2 types of iPhones: the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5 in a plastic shell called the 5C.
And, as usual, opinions are deeply divided on how great these products are, with reactions ranging from ‘amazing’ to ‘disappointing’. Here’s my take (would love to hear yours!):
1. iOS upgrades – Many older devices get the upgrade, that’s a big plus!
2. More LTE bands – makes it LTE compatible in more countries than any other phone out there.
3. The Camera – If it does what it claims to do (knowing Apple, it probably will), the cameras on Nokia and Sony devices have some serious competition at last.
4. Faster chip with 64 bit architecture – gamer’s get to rejoice!
5. HD front-facing camera – video chatting gets a well deserved boost.
1. No NFC – C’mon Apple, for the premium price that you charge, not including this is nothing less than ridiculous!
2. No bigger screens – a 4 inch screen doesn’t really cut it these days. I’ve got so used to my 4.5 inch Android that iPhones seem like miniatures in comparison.
3. No default Google maps app – need I say more?
4. No lower priced phones – the 5C is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, which is probably the biggest disappointment (for folks in Asia like me at least).
5. Battery life – My Android costs 1/4th the iPhone’s price, but gives 2-3 days of juice easily.
6. No MicroSD card slot – If you buy an iPhone and want more memory, you’re still out of luck.
7. No full HD display – This should be a standard feature on any phone that costs so much, I have to wonder what’s wrong with Apple!
1. The color scheme of iOS 7 and the icons.
2. The cheap ‘plasticky’ looks of the 5C.
My personal verdict: Nice incremental updates, but nothing groundbreaking or innovative. If you’re eligible for the iOS7 upgrade, that should be good enough for most people.
What do you think?
Is it worth buying the new iPhones?