Temptations are everywhere, especially on your computer. And to help keep you accountable there have been a number of businesses who have created software for your computer that alerts your accountability partner about your online activity.
But what about staying safe on your mobile device?
That’s where something like a mobile accountability app comes into play…
Enter Double Agent!
Double Agent is an Android app that monitors your web browsing, search, and app installation activity and reports that data in a weekly email to anyone you’d like. There are no monthly fees. Just search “accountability” in the Android Market and Double Agent will be the only result.
The app runs in the background (thanks to the wonders of Android) and quietly monitors your activity without getting in the way. Because Double Agent uses less processing power than the standard Android keyboard, it won’t slow your device down at all. We’ve tested on old G1 phones and the latest Nexus One and Droid Incredible and performance isn’t effected in any way.
No Loop Holes
Due to the nature of the Android OS, it *is* possible to deactivate the app, but performing any action in the browser, search, or downloading a new app from the Market will reactivate Double Agent immediately. There’s no way to “dodge” or “cheat” the app into not monitoring your activity.
You can delete the app altogether, but your accountability partner(s) will know that you’ve deleted the app from your phone because of how our email system is setup.
Finally, Double Agent keeps an icon in the notification bar to let the user know that it’s running and monitoring your activity. We’ve also built in a handful of fun notification warnings that lighten the mood.
Top Five Features:
- Monitoring – We track the *right* information and allows private data to remain private. We don’t track emails, SMS, photos, etc. because we don’t believe those are pertinent to an accountability relationship. (We might release an “pro” version that tracks MUCH more data and could be used by employers to track more data on company-issued devices.)
- Reporting – Happens via a weekly email to as many addresses (people) as you want. This is automated and runs from our servers that are setup in a cloud application environment for ongoing reliability, no matter how many emails are being sent each week for all of our users.
- Privacy – Although our servers handle the weekly email processing, we don’t store any of your data. Once it has been emailed, the data is wiped from our servers.
- Lightweight – Double Agent runs quietly in the background so it can grab an accurate accounting of your activity, but it uses less power than the Android keyboard and won’t bog down your phone at all.
- Reminders – With the cute Double Agent icon in the notification bar at all times, you’ll be naturally discouraged from visiting harmful or inappropriate websites, searching for the wrong thing, or downloading a bad app. After all, what good is monitoring software if it ONLY gets you in trouble but doesn’t keep you OUT of trouble.
Check it out if you’re interested!