One of my favorite ways to figure out what’s taking up all that space on my iMac is using the super cool DaisyDisk.
After scanning your entire hard drive, external disk drive, or even memory stick, DaisyDisk displays your space use in an easy to understand, ultra visual way using a unique circular color graph.
And with every version, they keep adding features that make it easy to delete those space hog apps I never use, huge files I forget about, or oodles of photos I need to archive.
Here’s the newest and latest release of DaisyDisk in action:
[Video via YouTube]
Considering the cost of a larger hard drive, another external drive, and more cloud storage, DaisyDisk 4 is a cost effective way to get more out of all the space you already have.
Here’s some of the improvements made in this newest release of DaisyDisk 4:
- Dramatically improved scanning speed—up to 20x times faster! Now scanning takes just a few seconds, not minutes as before. (Depends on your disk and CPU models. The speed gain is most notable on newer SSDs and 4-core CPUs).
- Finally, brand new look-and-feel, matching the new OS X style.
- Significantly reduced memory consumption.
As I write this, I am running a scan on my computer and it certainly uses less memory than the previous version—and I love how the icon in my dock shows me the progress in realtime (it’s the little things).
I should also mention that if you are already using DaisyDisk 3, DaisyDisk 4 is a free upgrade.
If you are a new user, keep in mind that it is available from both the DaisyDisk website and the App Store. I prefer the standalone edition from their website, as it allows me to scan disks as administrator, delete stuck files, and reveal “hidden” disk space.
For only $10, DaisyDisk 4 is the best OS X disk usage utility.
We’re giving a copy away!!!
Here’s how you can enter to win:
- Leave a comment below, telling me what kind of a Mac you’ll be using it on.
- Share this post via Twitter or Facebook.
We’ll pick a winner sometime next week—and don’t forget to include your email address when using the comment form so we can contact you if you win. 🙂