I’ve tried Google’s Adsense system and vetted it as far as I think I can; I’ve tried every avenue and marketing channel, locational strategies, everything. At the end of the day I’ve come to the conclusion that it ultimately devalues your blog.
- It takes up valuable real estate on your blog for content and real value-add for your readers.
- It just looks bad. Honestly. I don’t care if you successfully color-match (and the vast majority don’t even take the time to do that) it just looks terrible.
- Control. You do have the ability control what ads shows up but typically if you start limiting ads the ones that you drop are usually the highest paying. Bummer, they are the ones you don’t want showing up.
- You can make more money by sponsored advertising.
- It consumes a lot of your focus, especially for a new blogger. That’s not what you need to concentrate out the gate (or even for a while).
To sum it up, it just looks unprofessional.
Are you using Google Adsense and/or have you been considering it? What are your thoughts?