“Go into the arts. I’m not kidding. The arts are not a way to make a living. they are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven’s sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something.” – Kurt Vonnegut
I needed this today, and every morning when I wake up!
(I’m getting that old Michael W. Smith song Go West Young Man singing in my head right now!)
But really… go do something today! You never know how many todays we have left. Learn something today, be something today.
Suggestions if you’re stuck:
- Try a different color.
- Wear a bolder color than you normally would.
- Wear mismatched socks…and make it known that you are doing so…so you’ll be asked WHY you are doing that, and you can say you’re trying to get some creative juices flowing!
- Try something new for lunch.
- Starve yourself during lunch and spend those 20 minutes doing something completely different than you normally would…go for a walk and talk .to God then come back and write some words down about how what you thought about.
- Go to Spotify and type in a random word and listen to the 8th song that comes up…
- Text or email the 24th person in your address book today just to say hi and that you’re thinking about and praying for them right then!
This whole create thing isn’t just about art … sometimes its just about doing little things differently for a bit, sometimes its just about change that then leads to another creation.
What do you do when you’re creativity is ‘stuck’?
[Image via Lachlan Hardy]