This is the twenty-seventh article in the series App of the Week series.
As we shared last week, for the new couple of weeks, we will be sharing several of them with the best option ending last. When you think of weather, undoubtedly you think about the Weather Channel as the standard. So does their television channel translate well into a mobile app? Here is our review of the Weather Channel app.
The data is top notch from the Weather Channel app and we love good data.
- Simplistic The initial stage of the app only shows you the weather for today with hints that there is more. For someone that wants to know how how it is right now, this is perfect.
- Complex As simple as the initial impact is, the app has so much data, you can find out nearly anything you want. Heat index, sunset, and future forecasts.
- Maps No other app I have found has the accurate maps of the weather in your area that the Weather Channel app has. Perfect for if you can have a picnic or soccer game and want to know the weather or not.
As great as the data is for this mobile app, there are glaring issues.
- Too Much I love the idea of data, but they do not have good flow to it. They have cramped it all into a five inch screen. Display the data, just not all at once.
- So Slow Because of all this data, loading up the screen and updating the content takes way too long. 95% of the time I just want the current data and everything else is too much.
- No Innovation I think they are just wanting to rely on their tradition of content and are missing the ability to be innovative. No outside the box, just a clone of their television channel (that I do not watch).
What do you like or hate about The Weather Channel on iOS?