This is the eleventh article in the series App of the Week series.
There is a big debate on if you should use electronics in church or not and that includes the use of this application. Here we are only going to highlight the app itself, but if you would like to have that dialogue, go over to ChurchTechToday.com for an article I wrote on this very topic. But for those that want a Bible application on their Apple device, this is the forerunner.
YouVersion has done a great job of being the Bible app of choice. Here is why.
- Quick and Easy In just three pushes, you could highlight a verse or share it on Twitter. They have made the navigation to Bible plans is simple, getting to the verses you want to see easy, and it all seems so intuitive.
- So Many Translations There are so many different translations that no one can complain about what is and is not available. While listening to the sermon, switch to a different translation to get a deeper grasp of how the passage is viewed.
- Different Reading Plans YouVersion has given you so many different reading plans that you will want to explore them all: devotionals, topical plans, or create your own. You need to be jumping into this app today.
While I love this app, there are some bugs for it…
- Not Optimized for iPhone 5 This app is optimized for all of Apple’s products except the iPhone 5. You will notice that the landscape is not fully covered as it is still laid out for the iPhone 4S.
- Choice Overload You have tons of options for reading plans, too many in fact. YouVersion should have a Top 20 list for the year, month, and week to better filter through the choices.
- Audio Books Downloadable I love the audio version of YouVersion, but the only time I would use it is in the car where I am nowhere near wifi. I do not want to tear through my data plan so for now I will be not using this feature.
What do you love or hate about the Bible app?