I have this conversation with people about every single week.
It goes something like this:
I’m tired of my current blog.
Well, what do you mean by “tired?”
Well, I don’t like my blog.
What don’t you like about it specifically?
I’m not sure. I think I need to start another blog, a new one.
Why can’t you just make some changes on your current blog?
Ummmm… I don’t know…?
The exact words may be different, but the idea is essentially the same, and it happens to everyone (including me).
You see, eventually you’ll take a look at your blog (or “mess”) and begin to ask yourself whether you’re proud of it, whether you still like it, or you begin to see things that are just “wrong” with it.
You may even just simply have gotten “tired” of your current blog, the content that you cover, or feel like you’ve “exhausted” that particular topic and want to start over. Perhaps the design is pretty old too, severely outdated, or just plain bad.
And you know what, you may even have a very legitimate reason to start over, but here are some ideas on how to “Start Over without Starting Over”:
- Start pruning your categories. Just start consolidating and/or deleting them entirely.
- Move posts around. Don’t outright delete them, but put them in places that may not be “seen” directly, especially if you’re doing a major change in content. This way you can still maintain those links that may exist out there on those posts. Perhaps making a few an “aside” category could work.
- Do a major design overhaul. Sometimes it just doesn’t “look” or “feel” right.
- Buy a new domain name and begin a migration, keeping the same content and then redirecting from the old domain. This way you can maintain your links again.
- Analyze your top posts in terms of traffic, comments, links, tweets, etc. Perhaps these topics might be better suited for you and for your “new” blog?
- Get some advice and counsel from those that you trust. Talk to others. Perhaps they can see something that you don’t. Ask your blog readers too!
- Do some research and see who’s doing well what you’d like to do and then copy.
Have any other thoughts and/or ideas?
[Image from Fatllama]